Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Slaying The Giants

This week I am hanging out in Branson, Missouri at the General Baptist Ministers Conference. It's a great time for me to sort of unwind from the rigors of ministry. I have the opportunity to spend some time with my father-in-law and many other friends from the ranks of ministry that I rarely get to see. I will even have the opportunity to enjoy a round of golf or two.

With all of the fun I will be having with my brothers in arms, there is also much to be learned and challenged with. John Ed Mathison is the keynote speaker for the event. If you have never heard him speak, I suggest you snag the opportunity if at all possible. He is a great man of God who is filled with love and wisdom.

Last night he spoke to us about slaying the giants in our life. These giants come in many forms. They are problems in our church, in our homes, and in our personal life. They may come in the form of a situation, a power hungry parishioner, or a sin struggle. But in any case, they are giants that we face and we struggle at times to find the victory.

He shared the story of David and Goliath, a favorite story from the ranks of Sunday School and bedtime. How we often overlook the depth of theology found in these "children's" stories. In the story David had the right ATTITUDE, affirming what God had already done in his life and anticipating what God was going to do in the battle. He had the proper ASSESSMENT using what he knew how to use and facing the giant the way God had equipped him. He had ASSURANCE because he came into battle in the name of the Lord understanding it was not his ability that would give him victory, but God's. And he took ACTION charging the giant head on.

As I listened, I was reminded of the giants in our lives. Some big, some small, but we all have them. God has given us victory over many of them, but there are some that we continue to battle in life. Some giants (the 9 ft. tall ones) we constantly battle. For years and decades we fight the Goliaths of our life. Certainly, we have some victories over these giants in battle, but it seems that after these victories the giant attacks again. We may find ourself once again facing defeat.

We grow weary. We grow weary of the war. If you are like me, you grow tired of the constant battles with Goliath and if you are like me you don't want the small victories in battle. You want the outright win...you want the war to be over.

If that is you today...let me offer you a prayer to pray.

"Father, I am tired of Goliath. I am tired of fighting these battles. Through the victories and defeats in battle, I grow weary. Grant me the ultimate victory. Not victory in the battle...let it be finished. TODAY, I want victory in the war...unconditional surrender. I want to take the sword of the giant and chop off his head so that he never has the opportunity to attack again. With my slingshot in hand, show me the stones that will take him down so that victory will be mine by your might and not of my own. Victory WILL BE MINE this day and forever more. AMEN"

2 comments:

  1. Great read Lance and an awesome perspective on "Giants" in our lives.

    ReplyDelete