Monday, January 23, 2012

Are You In A Faith Rut?

Are you in a faith rut?  Were you once on fire for God, but for whatever reason you feel disconnected?  Have you lost the sense of intimacy and passion you once felt about your faith?  Know this, you are not alone.

Every person who begins a journey with Christ will at some point (multiple points actually) reach a place where they feel as though their faith is waining or their relationship with God isn't where it once was.  Every relationship will experience these ebbs and flows of passion regardless of who the relationship is with.

I look back over my life as a Christian and I can see many instances where I felt far from God.  Maybe this feeling would last for just a few days.  Maybe this feeling would last for a few weeks.  There have even been periods of my life where I felt disconnected from God for months.  No matter the length of time, one thing that has always rang true is the fact that no matter how far away from Him I felt...He has always been right there.

Even the most important relationships in our life experience this pattern of emotion.  Outside of my relationship with Jesus, the single most important relationship I have in this world is the friendship and love affair I have with my wife.  Heather and I have been married for almost 12 years.  I am a happily, happily married man.  There is no one else in this world that I would rather spend my days with than her.  There have been many times when we have been giddy for one another like a couple of teenagers embarking on a brand new dating journey.  There have been times when passion has filled our life.  There have been times when we have been absolutely best friends.

With that said, there have also been times when we simply didn't like each other very much.  There have been moments where we did not communicate as well as we should.  Yes, we have had our share of moments.  While few and far between, those times of disconnection have been there in our relationship.  Our love has pulled us through some rocky spots in marriage and our commitment has been the glue that has made our ship strong.

My relationship with God is no different.   There have been times when I have been passionate about my relationship with Him.  There have been times when I immerse myself in His Word.  There have been times when my ministry for Him fulfills me like nothing else.  I am a Pastor and I believe most people would expect that from my life.  What you might not expect is the fact that even pastors have moments of disconnection in our relationship with God.

As in my marriage, it is love that has pulled me through some rocky spots in faith and ministry.  It is commitment that has been the glue to bring me back into the one place where I find my purpose and hope.  It is in His arms where I find my comfort.  It is in His embrace where I find healing for my brokenness.  It is in His heart where my passion bucket is filled once again.

Are you in a faith rut?  You are not alone.  Many other believers are in that same rut and every other believer has been there.  You are not alone.  Even when you feel no one else can understand what you are feeling...there is at least ONE who knows right where you are in that very moment.  You are never alone for when you feel the furthest from God, He is right there with you waiting for you to open your heart to Him. With His arms wide open, it is there where you will once again be filled with His love.  Let Him love you through your rut.

No comments:

Post a Comment