Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Great Pain

For those that know me well, you know that I love to hear people's stories. I am a firm believer that our story is the avenue through which God desires to do His greatest works inside of others around us. Testimonies, both big and small, are important to God because they are the stories that shaped your life.

This week I had a new friend of mine send me a heart touching story (even funny in parts) that I thought was worth sharing with you. I appreciate this story because I know the man that told it and I am thankful it has shaped him the way it has. Enjoy...

"We were living in Decatur and my Dad was on his way to dying. He had lived a great life and followed the Lord as closely as anyone I know. However, I sure wasn't anxious to let him go. At the same time, the dog we had had for 15 years was on the way to the end also. And to beat all of that my car was dying also. Sort of sounds like a country song doesn't it? Well, anyway, Mom had just called and Dad wasn't doing well at all. When I got home from work, I had to hustle to take my dog, Maggie to the vet before he closed because she was going down quickly. About half way to the vet's office my car sputtered a few times and I coasted off the side of the road. I was so down and angry and scared and...you can add to the list if you want. I really didn't know whether to cry or be mad and just cuss. I love to sing even though it has proven nauseating to people around me. Well, I started singing "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever" over and over. When I started I was actually singing it through gritted teeth. After a couple of times through, I gradually started loosening my jaw and my spirit. In a while I realized I was fortunate to have a Godly Dad, and couldn't have had a better pet and was so fortunate to be able to own more than one car. Once we have these things we often feel entitled, but I was so thankful that I had been this fortunate. To make a long story short, the car did start and I got Maggie there before the office closed. Not long after she was gone, Dad was gone, and the car barely made it to be traded in, but I did learn that no matter what, my blessings were far more than my hardships and my pain was only great because my fortune was great. I still didn't sing any better though. I am sure that Maggie was hoping to pass on by about the second verse."

I don't really think there is anything I can add to that. Thanks Dennis!!! I will close by echoing the heart of this story....."my blessings were far more than my hardships and my pain was only great because my fortune was great." You can take that to the bank my friends.....

No comments:

Post a Comment