Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Journey Of Epic Proportions

Something that is epic could be described as something of great extent or length, something that is heroic or has great achievement.

I love epic movies, you know those movies that last for hours or take several theatrical presentations to complete the story.  In many of these films there is a character that from the onset has no clue that they are destined for great things and in many of those cases are even resistant to embark on the incredible journey that is set before them.  From these humble beginnings, the character in questions rises to the occasion, defeats the odds, and emerges victorious to make a real difference or change the world.

That is the journey that God calls all of us to take as we trust in the sacrifice made by His one and only Son.  It is a journey of epic proportions that He and He alone has set before each of us.  Certainly, we are insignificant in and of ourselves, but we are made conquerors through His power and might.  I am constantly reminded of this fact as I daily hear the scripture in my mind that tells me His strength is made perfect through our weakness.

The idea of an epic journey has been playing out in my mind and my heart over several months as God has set into motion my life's next chapter.  I look back over my life and I am humbled at where He has brought me from and the things He has allowed me to do.  There have certainly been times when I have felt insignificant.  There have certainly been times when I have felt as if I were just spinning my wheels, but then He affirms everything I have ever experienced as a servant of the Most High.

The next leg of my journey has begun and we are so excited.  Over the last few months I have dreamed more dreams than I have ever dreamed before.  I have dreamed dreams of greatness for the glory of God.  Not dreams of greatness for my own self, but God sized dreams for a church that He has so graciously given me the opportunity to pastor.

We are so excited to serve along side of the people of Skyline Church in O'fallon, Illinois and as we have grown to both know and love them, I can't help but think of the awesome things God has in store for all of us.

It is difficult to put everything into words because I have so many wonderful thoughts running through my mind.  In fact, it is almost scary to dream these kinds of dreams because I know that the road that leads to their reality is not an easy one.  No doubt there will be tough spots along the way.  I am certain there will be plenty of people who may scoff, casting these dreams off as wishful thinking, but I believe with all of my heart that the vision God has for His church (any one of His local church bodies) is a vision that is so vast that we are incapable of making it come to fruition of our own strength and wisdom.  If our dreams are not God sized dreams, they are not God's dreams at all.

As I think about an epic journey and I think about the extent to which the journey is heroic encompassing great achievement, I see myself as none of those things.  I am, after all, a broken man who struggles daily to walk as closely to the Lord as I can.  I do, however, see how God has worked through me over the span of my lifetime.  Despite my imperfection, He has given me the opportunity to make even small differences in the lives of those He has called me to serve.  My prayer is that He will continue to do even greater things through my brokenness to see the journey of Skyline Church become a journey of epic proportions for His glory and for the expanse of His Kingdom.

4 comments:

  1. So looking forward to serving along side of you as we strive to Love God, Love Others and Make a Difference in this broken world for His Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really profuond statements. It was obvious God had his hand on you in the early Hope Springs days! God bless you both in all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was struck most by your idea that dreams which are not God-sized are not God's dreams. Often, we do tend to set our sights short of His vision. Standing with you in prayer that His dreams will be accomplished.

    ReplyDelete